How to Scale Word Documents to Different Paper Sizes – Creating a Word document on one paper size does not mean you are limited to that size paper and presentation when you print it. Sizing effect for single printing, or saving a new size in a document. When the paper size is changed, the document automatically scales to match the paper size you selected. Microsoft Word shows how a resized document will appear, along with the position of the text and other elements such as images, before you print.
Note: The information in this article can be applied to Microsoft Word for Office 365, Word 2019, Word 2016, Word 2013, and Word for Mac.
How to Change the Size of a Word Document for Printing
Follow these steps to choose a specific paper size when printing documents.
Note: If you have not yet created the Word file that you want to create and print, change the size of the document before you begin to ensure proper formatting.
- Open the Word document that you want to print and select the File tab.
- Select Print. By default setting, the paper size of the document defaults to the paper size of the printed output.
- Select the Paper Size drop-down arrow and select the output you want.
- To print letter-sized documents on A5-size paper, select Letter and then select A5. The thumbnail of the first page of the printed output is sized according to.
Note: You cannot scale the document to fit the paper. If the document is larger than paper, the document will print on several sheets.
- Select Print to print the document when you are satisfied with the output settings.
Print a Scale Word Document
To print documents to different sized paper while maintaining its original dimensions and making sure they fit on one sheet, print the document to PDF. After you create a PDF from a Word document, print hardcopy using the printer.
The PDF printer driver supports more resizing and restructuring of output options than any word processing application.
Note: If you don’t need a document that is printed in its entirety but do need a part of it in print format, Word allows you to print only a portion of the document.