How to Scale Word Documents to Different Paper Sizes Creating a Word document on one paper size does not mean you are limited to that presentation when you print it. Sizing effect for single printing, or saving a new size in a document. When the paper size is changed, the document automatically scales to match the paper size you selected. Microsoft Word shows how a resized document will appear, along with the position of the text and other elements such as images, before you print.
Note: The information in this article can be applied to Microsoft Word for Word 2019, Word 2016, Word 2013, Office 365, and Word for Mac.
How to Change the Size of a Word Document for Printing
Follow these steps to choose a specific paper size when printing documents.
Note: If you have not yet created the Word file that you want to create and print, change the size of the document before you begin to ensure proper formatting.
- Open the Word document that you want to print and select the File tab.
- Select Print. By default setting, the paper size of the document defaults to the paper size of the printed output.
- Select the Paper Size drop-down arrow and select the output you want.
- To print letter-sized documents on A5-size paper, select Letter and then select A5. The thumbnail of the first page of the printed output is sized according to.
Note: You cannot scale the document to fit the paper. If the document is larger than paper, the document will print on several sheets.
- Select Print to print the document when you are satisfied with the output settings.
Print a Scale Document
To print documents to different sized paper while maintaining their original dimensions and making sure they fit on one sheet, print the document to PDF. After you create a PDF from a Word document, print a hard copy using the printer.
The PDF printer driver supports more resizing and restructuring of output options than any word processing application.
Note: If you don’t need a document that is printed in its entirety but do need a part of it in print format, Word allows you to print only a portion of the document.