How to upload Word documents to Google Docs – Google Docs is a free way to edit Microsoft Word documents online. After the Word file is uploaded, you can read it, make changes, and share it with others from your Google account. Because Google Docs files are stored in the cloud, documents can be accessed from any computer, as well as through the Android application or iOS application. In this guide, we will show you how to upload your Word files to Google Docs.
Note: This guide must work with a version of Microsoft Word that uses the .docx format.
How to Send a Word Document to Google Drive
Google Docs is part of Google Drive, so you must first upload a document to Google Drive before you can use it on Google Docs.
- Open Google Drive. If you see the Go to Google Drive button, press and sign in to your Google account.
- Click New.
- Select Upload file. To upload a folder filled with several Word documents, select Upload folder instead.
- Navigate to the file or folder that you want to upload and select Open. The upload process will start automatically.
How to Convert Word Documents on Google Docs
Now that the document is uploaded to Google Drive, you can save it there for backup purposes or to share with others. However, to edit Word documents online with Google Docs, you must convert them to a format that Google Docs can recognize.
- Open Google Docs.
- Double-click the Word document that you want to edit.
- Select Google Docs from the Open With drop-down menu.
- The .DXX label next to the document name lets you know it in Microsoft Word format.
- To convert files, choose File> Save as Google Docs. The new version of the document must open in a separate window. You must now have two versions of the file, .DXX one and the new Google Docs.
How to Download Edited Google Docs Files
When you need to download the file from your Google Docs, you can do it from the document editing page.
- Open Google Docs, then open the file that you want to download. You can find out which documents are Google Docs files and which are still Microsoft Word documents by looking at the file extension. Google Docs files don’t have file extensions, so if there is a .DOCX or .DOC suffix after the file name, then the file hasn’t been converted to Google Docs format (which means it’s not a file that you edited in Google Docs).
- Open File> Download as and choose a file format. You can choose from formats such as DOCX, ODT, RTF, PDF, EPUB, and others.
- Select folder where the document be saved. It can also download directly to your computer if you have specified a download folder for your browser.
- Click Save.
Tips: if you want to download word docs form Google Docs into your computer, you can do right click file and select download.